Theory and Practice is the annual journal of the Music Theory Society of New York State. Membership in MTSNYS includes a subscription to Theory and Practice. A listing of prior volumes is found below.
To become a member of MTSNYS, please use the MTSNYS User Dashboard.
Back issues of the journal and institutional subscriptions may be obtained by writing to the subscriptions manager, William Marvin, Eastman School of Music, 26 Gibbs Street, Rochester, NY 14604.
Prospective articles and all correspondence should be sent to the editor, Jason Hooper, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Reviews Editor for Theory and Practice is Megan Lavengood. Scholars interested in reviewing a book published recently in their area of expertise are encouraged to contact her at email@example.com.
Information for contributors:
- The editors and editorial board of Theory and Practice welcome submissions on a broad range of topics in music theory.
- Theory and Practice publishes original research only and does not consider manuscripts currently under review elsewhere.
- Theory and Practice uses dual-anonymous peer review; authors must refrain from identifying themselves in submitted manuscripts.
- Manuscripts should be of moderate length (ca. 5,000–10,000 words) and feature diagrams, musical examples, and other illustrations as needed. Multimedia examples (audio, video, etc.) can be hosted on the MTSNYS website as a supplement to the print journal in some cases.
- Authors should use in-text parenthetical citations following the author-date style described in chapter 15 of The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition.
- Theory and Practice uses ASA pitch designations (middle C = C4).
- Articles should be submitted to the editors by email in two formats: Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf) and Microsoft Word (.docx). The email should contain the corresponding author’s mailing address and telephone number, as well as an abstract suitable for publication (ca. 150 words).
- All submissions should be double-spaced, including footnotes and works cited.
- The author(s) of an accepted manuscript are expected to format the article, musical examples, and other illustrations to adhere to the journal’s style guidelines.
- After a manuscript’s acceptance, authors are required to secure all necessary copyright permissions and pay any associated licensing fees, if applicable, before publication.